I’m going to get a little personal today and share some of our families struggles. There are 3 men in my life, my husband, and our 2 boys Joshua and Jude. I love these three dearly. Our family is deeply touched by mental illness. My husband suffers from Clinical depression and anxiety and our oldest son Joshua is Autistic.
Life is challenging and when you layer in mental illness, or any illness for that matter, it greatly impacts a family. Between the many visits to the Psychologists, Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Behavior Therapists you are left with not a lot of time, money or energy.
When I finally found THM, I was at a period in my life where I needed to step up for my family and be there, but I was EXHAUSTED. The THM lifestyle, once properly integrated into my life, started giving me more energy to do the things that mattered, and needed to be done so i could fight for my family.
THM taught me that I can heal my body with food. Wait, what, heal my body with food, what about my sweet husband and dear son that were suffering. That’s when I began looking further into what THM had to offer to my family.
Being on the spectrum for a child means that every case is different, and for our Joshua his main impacted areas are sensory, and communication. Joshua, at times will only have about 5 foods that he will accept, and this includes beverages. If you had met him a few years ago, he likely would not have looked you in the eye, or spoken to you without reciting a Dora the Explorer episode – that was the only way he communicated. His ears were always covered by his hands and he was constantly jumping. Fast forward to age 6, his ears are not covered, we still have issue with foods, but tend to have at least 10 accepted foods at a time now, and you can ask him questions and get a real 2 to 3 word response……can I get an AMEN!!
I’m sure that I don’t need to say much about depression and anxiety. It sucks, you are exhausted, bored, not interested in anything, sad, and in a want to crawl into a hole and die state of mind….pretty much sum it up? On top of that, lets throw in medication that makes your symptoms worse, makes you feel numb, disengaged, and overall unhealthy.
I’m not tying to say that THM or Golden Milk (which i will get to in a minute) is the cure, but we have seen improvements and a silver lining. Below are the specific items that I’ve seen help my family
- Taking away sugar – when they are off of sugar, they are focused, more active, and have energy
- MCT oil- this middle chain triglyceride is a miracle for us, we started giving liberal amounts to Joshua 2 years ago and saw many improvements from a reduction in repetitive movement and speech to improved eye contact
- Coconut Oil – this oil has been known to boost brain function and once we started consuming more of this I saw improvements in how both Joshua and my husband communicated…they could now.
- Sunflower lecithin – this one is very tough to give Joshua, so I have not seen a lot of improvements there, but for hubby, when I add this to his golden milk he is usually in better spirits.
- Turmeric – Turmeric is an amazing anti-inflammatory, and its been said that your stomach is your 2nd brain, so if your stomach is inflamed then so will your brain be. I make a turmeric paste by mixing a 1/4 cup of organic turmeric with a 1/2 cup of water and heating over medium heat until thickened up. I then add this to Golden milk for hubby, or a 1/4 tsp to a shot glass of OJ, and a tsp of MCT oil for Joshua (this is the only way i can get it in him). This regime seems to have a HUGE impact on pain for my husband, and for Joshua since we started the OJ shot, he is talking in longer sentences.
We think this drink is like a rich Chai Latte, absolutely delicious
- 1 tsp turmeric paste
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp coconut oil or MCT oil
- 1 tsp Sunflower lecithin
- splash of vanilla
- 2 doonks THM Stevia
- shake of black pepper
- shake of cinnamon
Whisk all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat until warm.
Here’s to good Health from my family to yours!!